Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cast Iron Frittata: Healthy Garofalo Style

Sent in by my friend, Brian, and modified by me to be a healthy meal for all!


Ingredients:
9 Egg Whites
1 Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
1 Poblano Pepper, finely diced
1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Paprika
Garlic Salt
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Fat Free Monterey & Colby Jack Cheese

Alright, so first things first. Get your cast iron skillet ready. This took me quite awhile since I had not used it in a long time and it may have gotten a little rusty. So to clean this don't use soap. It causes headaches. I used Olive Oil and a paper towel to wipe it down until it was fixed. This takes awhile.

Once you have that done, add some olive oil to the skillet At this point empty out your oven and turn it to 400 BAKE.

Now gather the rest of your ingredients.


First, dice your Onion up very finely. You can leave it chunky if you prefer that, but I like it finely diced so that's just what I did! Second, dice up your Green Bell Pepper. I also diced up my Poblano Pepper after this. Turn on the burner your cast iron skillet is on, I set it at MEDIUM. Dump your diced Onions in and move them around. At this point I add the egg whites into a mixing bowl and mixed them up together with a dash of Ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt.

Your Onions should be caramelized quite nicely by now. Add in your diced Peppers. Mix together and add a light dusting of Garlic Salt and Paprika. Once the Peppers start to soften, turn off your burner. Add the Egg mixture to the skillet. Top it with your choice of fat free cheese.

Into the oven it goes. Make sure to use an oven mitt or something similar since the cast iron skillet will burn you.It takes about 10-20 minutes to cook properly. I like my eggs a little drier when I make Frittata so I left it in the oven for about 18 minutes. You can tell it is done by the edges of the Frittata mixture pulling away from the sides of the skillet.

I let it cool for about 5 minutes and then cut into pieces and served. Make sure to use a sharp object like a knife to edge around the Frittata, otherwise it might stick to the outside when you are trying to remove it for consumption. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment